Job position: Communication & Media Coordinator
Plan International Cameroon is presently responding to the humanitarian crisis in the Far-North region of Cameroon, through numerous programs and projects aimed at improving the lives of refugees, IDPs and host populations affected by the armed conflicts in the Lake Chad sub-region.. There is a high need for Communication with Donors, Resource Mobilisation, Social Mobilisation, Media Relations, Advocacy and influencing, Communication with Communities (CwC), and Communication for Community Engagement.
As such, the role of the Communication and Media Coordinator is critical to ensure the elaboration a communication strategy and operationalise its plan of action. The role is also crucial for the capturing and documentation of projects’ successes and challenges via fact sheets, case studies, stories, testimonies, quality pictures and videos, media products, articles, etc.
DIMENSIONS OF THE ROLE
Reporting to the PR & Communication Specialist and the Emergency Response Manager, the Communication & Media Coordinator will be responsible for the implementation of Communication, Information and Media related activities within the emergency response areas in the Far-North Region. S/he will be responsible for the internal, external, and social media communications around the programs implemented in the area. S/he will work in close collaboration with Project Managers, Project Teams and implementation partners, to ensure close supervision, follow up and reporting of response activities through diversified communication tools and outlets. The Communication and Media Coordinator’s responsibilities will mainly be to maximise positive media coverage and fundraising opportunities and support accountability to key stakeholders by communicating the humanitarian situation and Plan International’s emergency operations in the Far-North Region of Cameroon. S/he shall also supervise the quality production of Information Education and Communication materials, and the quality branding of all realizations and activities.
1. External Liaison and Communications
- Develop and amend as necessary a Communication Plan for Plan International’s program in Maroua.
- Develop and maintain excellent relationships with frontline national and international media (journalists}, Communications staff and representatives of other NGOs, government institutions, UN Agencies, etc.
- Act as the main point of contact for media and respond to requests for information from journalists, NOs, and donors, including arranging interviews and field visits.
- Act as a spokesperson for the organisation when appropriate and with approval of the CD or delegate.
- Prepare, distribute and log press releases.
- Conduct regular field visits to interview staff and beneficiaries, write human interest stories and take photos and video.
- Identify frontline media outlets and suggest initiatives to promote the activities and impact of Plan International’s work in the Far-North region.
- Participate in the Communications to Disaster-affected Communities (CDAC) working group or public information working group if active.
2. Internal Liaison and Communications
- Share a steady flow of information (social media updates, human interest stories, talking points and Q&As, blogs etc.) with the PR & Com Specialist for internal and external dissemination as per Plan International’s communications guide.
- Coordinate the preparation of Situation Reports (SitRep) to update on the status of Plan International’s disaster response activities;
- Regularly provide high-resolution, good quality digital images and videos of the emergency and Plan International’s work.
- Develop engaging massages to communicate key policies and values of Plan International to staff.
- Monitor print and electronic media for mentions of Plan International and other topics of interest to the organisation, and inform the Emergency Response Manager, and the PR & Com Specialist of anything important.
- Identify and create talking points/Q&As for potential sensitive issues and inform the Country Director and the Emergency Response Manager.
3. Visibility and Branding
- Ensure the correct use of Plan International’s identity and that or partners and donors, in respect to the Brand Manual.
- Ensure the quality production of Information, Education and Communication (IEC) materials.
- Ensure the quality branding of constructions, Non-Food Items (NFIs) and other realisations of Plan International, with the identity of Plan International and that of partners, where applicable.
- Ensure that staff are branded during field visits and external meetings.
- Provide communication and media coaching/ training to designated spokespeople and staff.
- Offer immediate media coaching for those about to do an media interview.
5. Media Monitoring and Evaluation
- Work with PR & Com and external media service providers to produce quality audiovisual material (documentaries, spots, etc).
- Compile a log of media calls organised within the response programme
- Work with PR & Com specialist to monitor media and compile a list of national/international media coverage.
- Produce a ‘lessons learned’ document and make recommendations for future operations.
- Ensures that Plan International’s global policies for Safeguarding and Gender Equality and Inclusion are fully understood and respected by the media professionals, partners and staff, during all communication activities.
- Works with PR & Com Specialist to develop and implement the Communications & media Strategy and Plan of action for the response program – High
- Attends meetings with stakeholders and make relevant and strategic papers, write-ups – High
- Represents Plan International at external forums as applicable – Medium
- Liaises with program partners – Medium
- Collaborate and consult with colleagues at CO and PU – Medium
TECHNICAL EXPERTISE, SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
- People Skills: Ability to work independently and as a team player who demonstrates leadership and can support and train local and international staff and also able to work with disaster-affected communities in a sensitive and participatory manner.
- Communication Skills: Well developed written and oral communication skills. Able to communicate clearly and sensitively with internal and external stakeholders as a representative of Plan International. This includes effective negotiation and representation skills.
- Integrity: Works with trustworthiness and integrity and has a clear commitment to Plan International’s values and humanitarian principles.
- Resilience/Adaptability and flexibility: Ability to operate effectively under extreme circumstances including stress, high-security risks and harsh living conditions. Works and lives in a flexible, adaptable and resilient manner.
- Awareness and sensitivity of self and others: Demonstrates knowledge and sensitivity to gender and diversity. Have experience and the ability to live and work in diverse cultural contexts in a culturally appropriate manner.
- Work style: Is well planned and organised even within a fluid working environment and has a capacity for initiative and decision making with competent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Knowledge and skills: knowledge of the Core Humanitarian Standards, knowledge on; general finance, administration, information management/ telecommunication skills and proficiency in information technology/ computer skills.
- At least 1 year of humanitarian aid experience will be an asset.
- Multiple language skills desirable
Technical Competencies required for this position
- University Degree in Journalism, Communication or equivalent experience
- At least 3 years of experience working in journalism, communications, media, or Public Relations
- Strong understanding of print, radio, television and online media
- Experience as a spokesperson
- Good photography and/or filming skills;
- Additional technical skills are desirable, including proficiency in Adobe Photoshop or photo-editing software and movie-editing software such as Adobe Premier
- Fluent written and spoken English and French. Preference will be given to candidates who speak more than one working language.
- A minimum of 1 year of experience working with or in collaboration with an NGO or UN agency, or equivalent, is preferred.
- Prior experience travelling to, or working in an emergency environment will be an asset.
- Ability to work independently and as a team player.
- Ability to operate effectively in stressful situations, including working overtime.
- Gender awareness and cultural sensitivity.
- Good time management and problem-solving skills.
- Works with trustworthiness and integrity and has a clear commitment to Plan International’s values and principles;
- Work under pressure to produce results
- Work outside in an extremely hot and/or humid climate
- Keep to strict deadlines
- Travels (planned and unplanned)
LEVEL OF CONTACT WITH CHILDREN
High level: Frequent interaction with children
Type of Role: Communication & Media Coordinator
Reports to: Public Relation & Communication Specialist and Emergency Response Manager as appropriate
Closing Date: 05 January 2020
Anciennes épreuves des Concours et examens de l’écoles du Cameroun
Vous en avez assez de perdre du temps à chercher des ancienne epreuves de concours et des examens officiels. Dans ce site vous trouverez les derniers sujets des examens nationaux (G.C.E, CAP, BEPC, PROBATOIRE, BAC, BTS) et ancienne epreuve de concours d’entrée aux grandes écoles du Cameroun telles que: ENS, EAMAU , ENAM, ENIEG, IRIC, IFORD, IDE, ENSET, ESSEC, IUT, FGI, FASA, FMSB, ESSTIC, EGEM, ENSP, ENSPT en libre accès sur le web… mis à votre disposition par les étudiants en master, en doctorat et des enseignents.